Two of the most popular orthodontic procedures used by dentists for teeth straightening are Invisalign and braces. Both of these techniques work efficiently in positioning your teeth and giving them an incredible appearance.
However, there are some ways and situations in which one might be better than the other. We at Smile Magic Dentistry aim to compare the two processes. Keep reading:
Getting Started with the Basics
Braces are basically metal brackets glued to the teeth, using wires and tiny rubber bands. By putting pressure on your teeth, braces are able to align them properly. Today, braces come with a lot of varieties and colors. For instance, they can be made transparent or can be designed to match the color of your teeth. Braces have to be worn 24 hours a day for a period of around 2 years, depending on the needs of the person.
Invisalign, a relatively recent technique for teeth straightening, uses transparent aligners to get your teeth into place. These aligner trays are made up of smooth and comfortable plastics. They are specifically designed according to your teeth’s measurements so that they can be comfortably worn over the teeth. Invisalign trays have to be worn for around 22 hours a day for a period of 6 to 18 months, depending on patients’ needs.
Pros of Invisalign
- Invisalign, as the name suggests, is invisible which ensures that the natural look of the teeth is retained.
- Food does not get stuck in Invisalign trays, unlike in braces.
- There is no discomfort due to wires.
- They can be easily removed.
Cons of Invisalign
- Tooth movement in the process can lead to a bit of discomfort.
- The trays have to be removed each time a person eats or drinks (except when drinking water).
- It gets necessary to brush after each meal to avoid staining of trays.
Pros of Braces
- Although not aesthetically pleasing, dental braces are better suited for complicated cases, such as gapped teeth or crooked teeth.
- Since braces cannot be removed, there is no temptation to leave them out.
- There are no supplementary cleaning processes. Regular brushing and flossing will do just fine.
Cons of Braces
- Wearing braces can cause sores, which can lead to pain and discomfort.
- It can also lead to tooth discoloration.
- It can cause difficulty in eating.
Dr. Raihan Nazir, one of the most reliable dentists in Orange County, offers both braces and Invisalign treatment. Over the years, his remarkable orthodontic services have proved to be quite efficient.